Content of the material
- DIY Mini Piñata Garland Craft
- Here’s a Printable Recipe just for you:
- Mini Piñata Garland DIY Craft
- Instruction Slideshow:
- Rice to water ratio
- USEFUL TO KNOW
- How to Cook Rice
- How to Cook Long-Grain White Rice on the Stove
- How to Cook Short Grain Rice on the Stove
- How to Cook Brown Rice on the Stove
- Reader Success Stories
DIY Mini Piñata Garland Craft
What do you think of when Cinco de Mayo rolls around? Around here, it is just another reason for a Corona to get its lime! So, we are throwing a fiesta with great food and some festive decorations. Saber Vivir (knowing how to live) and making the most of every moment.
In the spirit of keeping things light-hearted and easy, I’ve got a couple of things to share with you. The first is a super simple and tasty recipe — Beer Rice with Cilantro and Lime. Oh, YUM! Then, I’ll show you how to make the cutest mini piñatas that can be used in several different ways.
Here’s a Printable Recipe just for you:
5 from 1 reviewsBeer Rice With Cilantro And Lime Recipe + Mini Piñata Garland DIY
Total time 12 minsLife With Lorelai Type: Side Dish
Serves: 4 servingsIngredients:
- 2 Cups – Rice (I used a quick or instant rice)
- 1 Bottle – Corona or Modelo Beer
- Fresh Cilantro
- 1-2 Lime
- Pour the bottle of Corona Beer into a 2-cup measuring cup
- Add enough water to the beer to bring the measurement to 2-cups
- Place the liquid into a medium pot
- Toss in several full sprigs of Cilantro (I used about 6-8 sprigs)
- Squeeze the juice from the Lime into the pot
- Bring to a boil
- Add Rice and salt to taste, mix well
- Remove from heat
- Cover the pot
- Let stand for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice (or follow directions on your box of rice)
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges
Notes Corona Extra or Corona Light will add a light refreshing taste Modelo Especial or Modelo Negro will provide a richer full-flavored taste
If you are having friends and family over for your fiesta, check out this super cute, super easy decoration. This DIY craft makes a fun decor, or you can even use them as party favors.
Mini Piñata Garland DIY Craft
- Tissue Paper (I used Red, White, Green, Yellow – 2 sheets each)
- Empty Tissue Paper Tube
- Clear Glue Pen
- Ribbon (smooth or ribbed curling ribbon works well)
- Candy – Individually wrapped pieces that will fit inside the tube
- Decide how many Mini Piñatas you want to make.
- Pull Streamer – Cut a 24-inch piece of Ribbon for each piñata.
- Handle – Cut a 6-inch piece of Ribbon for each piñata.
- Trim – Cut a 6-inch piece of Ribbon for each piñata.
- Take two sheets of each color Tissue Paper, open them up and stack them together neatly. (I had one color of tissue that was larger, so I used the excess for my squares — next step.)
- Using the excess mentioned above, or another sheet of tissue paper, cut out a 2-inch square for each piñata.
- Stack the squares and lightly fold them in half corner-to-corner. Cut a small slit in the middle of the fold. Then, fold the square again to the other corners and cut another small slit, making an “X.”
- Take a 24-inch ribbon and slide one tip through the X, tape the ribbon on both sides of the tissue. Be sure you have taped the ribbon well, so the X will rip open when the ribbon is pulled to release the candy from the piñata.
- Tape a square and ribbon set to one end of the Tissue Paper Tube. This will hold the candy in place. Make sure the ribbon is on the outside of the tube. It will hang down to be the pull streamer.
- Now, cut your stacked sheets of tissue lengthwise into 1-1/2 to 2-inch strips. (I got six strips out of my sheets).
- Stack strips. Cut narrow slits about 3/4 of the way through the strips to make fringe.
- You will use 3 or 4 fringe strips per tissue paper tube. Carefully separate the fringe strips (two piñatas at a time).
- Using the glue pen, lay a thin bead of glue on one side of the solid band on the fringe strip.
- Adhere the fringe to the tube starting at the bottom (with the tissue square and ribbon), and working your way around the tube with a slight upward spiral.
- Continue adding fringe this way until you get to the top, but DO NOT glue down the end of the last fringe strip. Leave enough to go around the tube a full turn, at least.
- Tape a 6-inch Ribbon piece to the outside top of the tube for a handle. Then, finish gluing the rest of the fringe strip to cover up the taped handle ends.
- Finish off the Mini Piñata with another 6-inch piece of Ribbon glued around the top edge of the tube as trim.
- Let dry.
- Fill with candies.
- To make a Garland – thread mini piñatas over ribbon or string. Tape in place if needed.
Mini Piñata Garland #DIY #Craft – It’s fiesta time! #Pinata #CervezaCelebration AD Msg 4 21+
Rice to water ratio
For 1 cup of rice, you will need 1.5 cups of water for to cook rice on the stove or in the oven.
The water needs to be increased to 2 cups to cook rice in microwave.
If you rinse the rice*, reduce the water by 2 tablespoons per cup of rice.
* You don’t need to rinse rice to have fluffy rice if you use the right cooking method and rice to water ratio! More on the to-rinse-or-not-to-rinse debate below.
USEFUL TO KNOW
Rice to water ratio – 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups of water for rice cooked on the stove. Increase to 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice for oven and microwave.
How long does rice last in the fridge? 4 days in an airtight container. Some say it will go to 6 days, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Freezing rice – rice freezes extremely well! It will keep for 3 to 4 months in the freezer.
How to reheat rice – the best way is to place rice in a bowl, drizzle with 2 teaspoons water per 1 cup of cold rice, cover with cling wrap then microwave on high for 1 minute. The water will create a steamy environment and make the rice moist and fresh again.
Can you eat cold rice? Yes you can. But it’s not very pleasant – it’s hard and dry. Cold rice is perfect (and necessary!) for Fried Rice! Or use for Chinese Rice Soup (just add towards the end at the point where the rice would be cooked in the recipe.)
How much rice does 1 cup uncooked rice make? 1 cup uncooked rice = 3 cups (packed) cooked rice. It is enough for 3 normal servings, or 4 smaller servings.
Don’t have to use measuring cups – you can use anything to measure the rice and water as long as you use the same ratio. For example, 1 level mug of rice and 1 1/2 mugs of water. Or use a bowl or can or jug – anything!
Calories in rice – 1 cup cooked white rice has 206 calories.
How to Cook Rice
There are many different ways to cook rice. Let's start with the most basic method: cooking rice in a pot on your stovetop.
How to Cook Long-Grain White Rice on the Stove
For this demo, we'll use long-grain white rice. This type of rice is highly refined and polished, and doesn't require washing before cooking, although it's a good idea to rinse away dust and other impurities by measuring the rice into a strainer and running cold water over it for a few moments. Recipes using other types of rice, such as basmati, sometimes call for soaking or rinsing the rice before cooking to remove extra starch.
1. To cook long-grained white rice on the stove, use a 2 to 1 water to rice ratio. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. You can add an optional pinch of salt if you wish. Add 1 cup of rice, stir briefly to break up clumps of rice, cover the pot with the lid, and reduce the heat to its very lowest setting to help the rice cook evenly. If the temperature is too high, the bottom of the pan of rice can scorch while the rice at the top is still undercooked.
2. Set a timer for 20 minutes. A little steam will escape the covered pot while the rice cooks; this is normal. Resist the temptation to lift the lid and peek before the timer runs out, otherwise too much moisture will escape and your rice will be too dry.
3. When the timer rings, turn off the burner and remove the pan from the heat. Let the rice sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. No peeking! Let the steam finish doing its work to plump and cook the rice.
4. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- You can serve the rice immediately, or put the lid back on to keep it warm while you finish cooking the rest of your meal.
- To chill rice for a salad, spread it out on a sheet pan to cool quickly.
- For food safety reasons, rice should never be left out at room temperature longer than two hours.
How to Cook Short Grain Rice on the Stove
Short grain white rice is often covered with a starch that you can rinse off if you don't want your rice to be too sticky.
- To wash away excess starch, measure rice into a pot and pour in enough cold water to cover the grains. Gently swish the rice with your fingers and rub lightly. Pour out the starchy water (you can pour through a sieve so you don't lose any grains). Repeat 1 or 2 times, depending on how starchy the rice is. The water does not have to be completely clear after the final wash.
- After pouring out the water for the last time, add clean water to the pot (add 1-1/2 to 2 cups of water for 1 cup rice).
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to its lowest setting. Let the rice gently simmer for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the rice continue to steam in the covered pot for 5 minutes.
How to Cook Brown Rice on the Stove
Brown rice still retains the bran and germ, so you need to use more water and a longer cooking time than for white rice. Basic recipe: Rinse one cup of rice in a strainer and put into a pot with 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer on very low heat for 45 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before serving. See more tips for cooking brown rice and get recipes for brown rice.
Reader Success Stories
Lucy Aciro Jul 5, 2016
“Some time ago, I had a fever and lost my appetite. I had greens, rice, and eggs in the house. I had a very nice looking and delicious meal. Thanks for the good lesson. It saves time and money, and contains all the food nutrients.” …” more