Content of the material
Post navigationPrevious Post Previous post: How to turn your Weber charcoal grill into a smoker
Next Post Next post: Garlic and Ginger Beef Stir-fry
How long does it take to cook steak in the oven at 350?
Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes (7 for rare, 10 for medium rare) Remove and flip the steaks. Return them to the oven for another 7-10 minutes on 350. Remove the baking dish, cover with a cotton towel or a lid of some sort. Let the meat rest for a few minutes before serving.
Why Use a Remote Digital Thermometer?
The best smoking is done in the 225 to 250° F temperature range. The only way to know where your grill’s temperature has settled is to measure it.
This is much easier with a remote wireless thermometer.
As discussed elsewhere, these allow managing both grill and meat temperatures.
There are even smart BBQ temperature controllers that can adjust airflow inside the grill, and will also sound an alarm if wide temperature fluctuations occur.
If the grill is too hot, food will cook rapidly and dry out, or, if a water pan is present, boil. And, without the right mix of temperature, humidity, and gases (nitric oxide and carbon monoxide), you can kiss goodbye any hopes of getting a good smoke ring.
Invest in a good thermometer.
Items Needed to Make a Homemade Smoker
- Kettle grill
- Wood chips
- Disposable aluminum pans
- Chimney starter
- Barbecue lighter
- Lump hardwood charcoal or standard briquettes
- Grill grate with hinged edges that lift up
- Meat thermometer
Use a Water Pan
Minimize temperature fluctuations as much as possible to ensure your food is well-smoked.
The weather (temperature, humidity, wind) will affect what goes on under the grill lid. To regulate the temperature inside the grill:
- Fill a 2 – 3” deep pan to within a half inch of the rim with hot water.
- Place pan on the grate over the heat source.
- If you only have a single grate, place the pan on the burners or use a wire baking rack to create a two-level setup. A broiler pan will also work.
- To prevent the meat from steaming, be sure the oven temperature remains below 225° F.
Water has more thermal mass, the ability to absorb and retain heat, than cement or brick, having a pan of water inside the grill will help to stabilize the temperature.
The water will also create a moist environment which will enable the smoke to better stick to the surface of food, imparting flavor.
The Best Cuts of Meat to Smoke
One of my favorite things to barbecue is ribs, so I’ll use a Kentucky-style bourbon-glazed baby back rib recipe as an example.
The larger St. Louis or Memphis cut ribs will work with this method, too, as will a Boston butt for when you want to make pulled pork. I’ve made perfectly barbecued "country ribs" (thick cuts from the pork shoulder) with a kettle, as well as beef ribs, brisket, tri-tip, chicken legs and thighs – even fatty fish such as salmon, sturgeon, bluefish or mackerel.
How long do I leave steak in the oven?
To roast a steak:
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel.
- Sear steak in a hot skillet for just a minute on each side.
- Transfer steak to a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the preheated oven.
- Roast for 10 to 20 minutes until desired doneness is achieved.