Mrs. Beeton’s pickled eggs:
- 16 eggs
- 1 liter/ 2 pints vinegar
- 15g / 1/2 oz black peppercorns, fresh
- 15g/ 1/2 oz allspice, ground
- 15g/ 1/2 oz ginger, ground
Garlic pickled eggs:
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1/2 liter/ 1 pint spiced vinegar
- Garlic, several cloves
Purple pickled eggs:
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 beet (beetroot), medium size
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Pinch of mace, ground
- 4-8 dashes of hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Post navigationOlder postQuince Poached in Viennese White Wine (Recipe) #QuitteWienerGemischterSatz
Newer postSpeedy Old-Vienna No-Knead Bread & Vienna’s Best Bakeries (Recipe) #AltwienerHausbrot
- It is recommended that pickled eggs are kept refrigerated before opening the jar unless your home is very cool naturally. Once opened, pickled eggs must be kept refrigerated to slow down any bacterial growth, to ensure your safety. Discard uneaten eggs after one month.
Thanks! Helpful 3 Not Helpful 1
How to Make Pickled Eggs
What follows is the result of several weeks of experimentation (and several dozens of eggs!) with different pickling mixtures. We have a beet pickled egg with cardamom and star anise, as well as a curried pickled egg with Indian spices, a jalapeño pickled egg with cumin and oregano, and a tarragon pickled egg with mustard seeds. Take your pick!
I think the best pickled eggs are the beet pickled eggs. They are my favorite because they're so pretty and I love beets. The spice combinations are prime candidates for experimentation, play around with them and include your favorite spices or herbs for egg salad.
These are refrigerator pickled eggs. I don't really know how long they'll last in the refrigerator, but I'm guessing at least several weeks.
Prep Time 20 mins Cook Time 10 mins Total Time 30 mins Servings 6 servings Yield 6 pickled eggs
For steamed hard cooked eggs, place in a steamer rack over boiling water, cover, and steam for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water. For beet and beet juice for the beet pickled eggs, simmer the chopped beets in a cup of water, covered, until tender, 30-40 minutes, or used canned beets. Use the beet juice from the cooking water, or the juice from canned beets.